Sophia Tesfamarima should be Prosecuted for Wilful Incitement of hatred
Date: 28/02/2013 To: Attorney General of British Columbia, Canada
To: Attorney General of British Columbia, Canada PO BOX 9044 Stn Prov Govt
Victoria BC V8W 9E2
Re: Anti-Semite Speaker, Sophia Tesfamarima should be Prosecuted for Wilful Incitement of hatred
1.We, members of Eritrean-Canadian Human Rights Groups, urgently report that Mrs. Sophia Tesfamariam is entering Canada to conduct a fundraiser seminar for the benefit of Eritrean regime and military which will be held in Vancouver, B.C., on March 03, 2013.
We urge the Attorney General of British Columbia to commence a prosecution against Sophia Tesfamariam for public incitement to hatred and wilful promotion of hatred, which is prohibited under Criminal Code articles 319 (1) and (2, as well as relevant Canadian provisions and guidelines.
2. Pursuant to Canadian Criminal Code 319. (1), and (2) “everyone who, by communicating statements in any public place, incites hatred against any identifiable group where such incitement is likely to lead to a breach of the peace is guilty of an indictable offence and is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years”; or “everyone who, by communicating statements, other than in private conversation, wilfully promotes hatred against any identifiable group is guilty of an indictable offence and is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years.”
3 , On October 02, 2010. Ms. Tesfamariam , a Washington based Eritrean American, affiliated with the Eritrean regime which is sanctioned for its terrorist ties by UN and Canada, spoke at a public seminar and fundraiser . The Eritrean Community of Winnipeg , presided by Lambros Kyriakakos, organized the fundraiser seminar for the benefit of Eritrean military and it took place, at Masonic Memorial Temple in Winnipeg.
4. In her speech, Mrs. Tesfamariam repeatedly accused Israel of being a state engaged in terrorist activities and blamed the Jewish State for being the destabilizing factor in the Middle East. Mrs. Tesfamariam referred the Jewish people as ‘evil’ and ‘advised’ the audience ‘not to be like them.’ She said, “..don’t be evil like the (Jews). Don’t blow up people…there are a lot of stuff that they do…” (Listen to the clip attached.)
5. On May 20, 2011, B’nai Brith Canada, issued a statement calling on the Government of Canada and the United Nations sanctions committee established under UN Security Council resolution 751 (the 751 Committee) to designate Sophia Tesfamariam as a person inciting to hatred and terrorism. Incitement to hatred is a criminal offence under Canadian Criminal Code. Canadian immigration law prohibits the entry to Canada of a person who there are reasonable grounds to believe will commit a criminal offence.
6. David Matas, Senior Honorary Counsel for B’nai Brith Canada, stated: “The October 2010 speech of Ms. Tesfamariam fits within the prohibitions against incitement to hatred in the Canadian Criminal Code and incitement to terrorism in the United Nations Security Council resolution.”
The incident was covered in Winnipeg Free Press, on 21/05/2011.
6. Sophia Tesfamariam is coming to Vancouver to speak at a fundraiser seminar organized by Eritrean Cultural Center of Greater Vancouver (ECC- Greater Vancouver, a satellite group affiliated to the Eritrean consulate in Toronto) and the YPFDJ (Young PFDJ). It is unacceptable that Eritrean regime affiliates organize another fundraiser seminar that will likely expose their local community, their youth and everyone there or who may listen with lies which smear the reputation and record of the Jewish community and which are meant to dehumanize, demonize and devalue the Jewish State and the Jewish people.
7. Clearly Mrs. Tesfamariam has breached Canadian criminal code by demonizing the Jewish people in public seminar, as “evil”. The video and audio recordings have been turned in to the proper Canadian authorities.
8. Canada has repeatedly vowed to combat anti-Semitism and has stated its zero-tolerance policy on anti-Semitism. Hence the Attorney General of British Columbia should commence criminal proceeding action against Sophia Tesfamariam, under Criminal Code articles 319 (1) and (2) and other relevant provisions of Canadian laws, should Sophia Tesfamariam enter Canada.
We trust your good office will take the appropriate legal action.
Eritrean Canadians Human Rights Groups